020 7751 3344

Please enable JavaScript to use this website fully.

    Mon - Fri 8am - 6pm | Sat 8am - 1pm



    - Average

    - reviews

    What is a Landlord Safety Certificate?

    Posted on 27th August 2019 by H2 Property Services

    As a landlord, you have a number of responsibilities to your property and your tenants.

    The safety of your property is of paramount importance, and there are a range of certificates you will need to be able to provide that serve as proof of a landlord meeting their various responsibilities. But what are landlord safety certificates that H2 Property Services can carry out for landlords?

    In this article, we’ll run through the specifics of these certificates so landlords can be sure they’re up to scratch, and tenants can have peace of mind regarding their landlord.

    If you need our services for a new certificate, be that gas or electrical safety, call our team on 020 3871 3077


    When do landlords need to provide these certificates?

    The electrical certificates known as Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICRs) should be carried out every 5 years, and involve comprehensive testing of the fixed wiring within the property carried out by a qualified Electrician.

    An EICR is not yet a legal requirement, but may become law as early as October 2019.Regardless of whether or not it is a legal requirement, many lettings agents require them before they will let out your property, since a landlord is required by law to ensure that electrical installations in the rental property are in a safe condition at the beginning and throughout the duration of the tenancy.

    The gas safety of the property is imperative, too. All gas-related areas of a property must be maintained to a safe standard; this includes appliances, flues and pipework (gas appliances owned by the tenant are not the responsibility of the landlord). Landlords must provide tenants with a record of a gas safety check within 28 days of completion, or to new tenants before they take occupancy of the property.


    What about UK PAT Testing Laws?

    The UK PAT testing law requires that all landlords, employers and even self-employed individuals make sure that their portable electrical appliances are safe and are suitable and used for the purposes intended.

    For residential rental properties this is usually only applicable for part or fully furnished properties where the landlord must take responsibility for the safety of the portable electrical goods provided in the tenancy agreement. These can range from vacuum cleaners and microwaves to table lamps and hair dryers, i.e. anything with a plug!


    Why do landlords need to provide these certificates?

    If a landlord has not obtained the relevant safety certificates for his or her property, then they could be liable for significant fines, legal action and even imprisonment. It is a criminal offence to let a property without a gas safety check, and landlords are required by law to ensure that the electrical aspects of a property are in safe working condition when tenants move in.

    On top of the landlord’s responsibility for gas safety, a landlord who fails to provide a gas safety certificate before the start of a residential tenancy cannot later terminate the tenancy by using a section 21 notice. This means landlords who do not or cannot provide the gas safety certificate before the start of the tenancy may be prevented from recovering possession of their property for an indefinite period. Records must be kept for at least 2 years.


    What else do landlords need to do?

    The landlord must ensure that all tests are carried out by registered and competent professionals. For the gas safety check, a Gas Safe registered engineer must inspect your pipework, your gas meter and all gas appliances annually to ensure they are in safe working order – if a problem is discovered, or symptoms of an issue are present, then they can advise you on the appropriate course of action.

    For EICRs the electrician should be a competent electrician who has his/her electrical inspection and testing qualifications. Again, if problems are found during the inspection, the landlord must take the appropriate course of action in order to rectify these issues to ensure safety is restored to the property.


    What other safety obligations do landlords have?

    Landlords must also consider fire safety when renting a property to a tenant. They must follow safety regulations, smoke alarms must be installed on each floor and carbon monoxide alarms need to be installed in any room with a solid fuel-burning appliance. All furniture and furnishings must be fire safe, and HMOs must have fire doors and access to escape routes at all times, as well as fire extinguishers and fire alarms.

    It’s important that landlords know their responsibilities when renting out their properties, and that tenants know their rights and what to look for when renting. H2 Property Services offer reliable, effective plumbing, electrical, gas and boiler services for properties across London, ensuring your property is as safe as possible at all times. All our work is guaranteed for 12 months for extra peace of mind.



    Landlord Safety Certificates London

    H2 Property Services are proud providers of electricians, plumbers and Gas Safe registered engineers for properties anywhere in London. If you need a gas safety certificate, or an electrical safety certificate for your property, contact our team today.

    For more information about the work we do, please get in touch with us today and we’ll be happy to help.


    Which? Trusted Trader

    H2 Property Services are proud to be a Which? Trusted Trader for our Plumbing, Electrical, Gas and Heating services across London, see our Which? reviews here.

    Contact our Team Today